Sunday, July 16, 2006

The Pink Taco--Scottsdale, AZ

This restaurant is the second one. The other is in Las Vegas at the Hard Rock Hotel. A few things about this place.

1) The Hype - Ok. This kind of sillyness about the name is almost like those students that giggled in humanities class when they saw the naked pictures drawn/painted by the rennaissance artists. For those of you that don't now the controversy: The name Pink Taco can sometimes be a derogatory word for a part of a woman's anatomy. Some people are offended by the name while others think those offended are just being silly. I think the latter. Strangely enough there is a little Georgia Okeefe going on in the restaurant. The bar has a few nooks that based on their shape could also resemble... well, "a pink taco". Although some would see this as meerely a more sharply curved arch.... I think its a double antandre.

2) The food - I did not have any drinks, but based on the popularity of them, I can imagine they are probably very good. I had the beer battered shrimp with spicy mayo dipping sauce. It was good but it was a bit greasy for my taste. I also had the Carne Asada steak. I personally thought it wasnt bad but the steak was a lot thicker than traditonal carne asada and it came with a bit more fat than I like. The chicken fajitas on the other hand was the best I have had any where. They cook them in a sauce that tastes mildly similiar to indian chicken tikka, and it was extremely moist. I am definitely coming back for fajitas and next time I will dive into the margaritas. The salsa was a bit to gringo for my taste (sorry but it was too bland).

3) Service - Definitely Scottsdale quality. Fun, & Friendly.

Overall: I think this place is a great hangout for singles, couples, and anyone who wants to have a good time. With all due respect to the owner, who completely shot down all of the finest mexican establishments in Arizona as non-authentic, he's not exactly all that. He has good mexican food, and I will come back, but he is definitely not the best in Arizona as he claimed he was going to be.

1 comment:

CrediblyEdible said...

Exactly.... I read an article in the azcentral.com that said he claims that there was no authentic Mexican in Phoenix so he chose this area for Pink Taco....