Sunday, August 24, 2008

Saddle Ranch Chop House, Scottsdale, AZ, Best "Meat"

Saddle Ranch Chop House
4321 North Scottsdale Rd.Scottsdale, AZ 85251
Phone: 480.429.2263
Fax:480.874.4855
Website: http://www.srrestaurants.com/

Ladies: forgive me for the reference here but Saddle Ranch Chop House has some of the best meat in town, but not the edible kind. I am not referring to the prime aged beef that you would get in a Scottsdale chop house, but rather the 2 legged kind. I would best describe this place as Hooters meets Sports Bar meets "I call myself a steak house but I wouldnt know good steak if it hit me in the ^&*"

The table we got was next to the bar and I could see all the bar patrons scouting "meat". It was right next to a circular bull pen which contains an electric bull that patrons can ride as the rest of the bar cheers them on. There at 72" flat screen TV's all over to watch a multitude of sporting events.

By having Chop House in the name, I imagined a country western ambience but still high quality steaks. I would rate the steak quality to that of Sizzler, Golden Corral, Red Lobster, or Olive Garden. So it would be below Outback but not quite as bad as Denny's or IHOP.

The service was what you would expect from a TGI Fridays/Hooters. The waitress did a good job in that sense so I wont talk bad about the service. A few issues I faced
  1. I Ordered a 12 oz steak Medium and got a Medium Well 8 oz steak
  2. My wife order an 8 oz Medium steak that was just shy of well done.
  3. Baked potato instructions were very simple yet still messed up

The manager did touch our table, when he realized that it wasnt up to par for us. Any self respecting manager would either re-cook the steak, or at least not charge for it. He made it very clear (trying to be slick the way he said it, but I am a foody and saw right through it) that for our poor meal experience he would offer us a dessert. When we explained that for health reasons we cant have desserts (diabetes), he said he would bring it to the table and we could choose to eat it or not. His choice was a 3 foot tall mound of cotton candy. I ended up passing it over to the bar next to me and told them to pass it around. I sure as hell wasnt going to eat straight glucose. He was basically pretending to care by offering a gesture.

So lets see.... I paid $29 for a steak that sucked and his way to appease me is to give me whipped sugar (for an insulin dependent diabetic) which cost him ($.50) as opposed to an $8.00 loss... my final bill was $72 and I left without really being satisfied. Even if he actually felt bad for us having a poor meal, I might not have even wanted it off the bill. The offensive part was that he thought he could appease me with a 50 cent dessert.

To put this all in perspective. I guess for some people that like places like sports bars, and want that Hooters environment and kind of miss their life in Nashville, this would be sophisticated steak that they would enjoy. I have been to steak houses accross the country but I have never rated on this low.

Pro's
Hot Chicks
Big TV's
Free drinks while you wait for a table (supposedly)

Con's
Reminds me of Hooters
Their steak is not worth it
Toooooo Expensive for Hooters.

No comments: