Sunday, December 23, 2007

Kabab Palace, Tempe AZ

710 W Elliot Rd
Tempe, AZ 85284
(480) 775-6288

Website: http://www.thekabab.com/ (not up as of publish time)

This restaurant claims to serve Halal Food (I only say it this way because I cannot authenticate it.)



Pros: Ambience, Atomosphere, Service

Cons: Too Pricey



This restaurant comes originally from California (according to articles published on the web). This is an Afghani Restaurant, maybe the 1st in Arizona. For those of you that have never experienced Afghani food it would be a cross betwen say Iraqi Food and Persian Food. It definitely has more flavor than Iraqi food but doesnt even come close to going on the other side of the border into the Pashtoon region of Pakistan... thats when the flavors come out!!!



That was my problem. I thought afghani food would be similar to Pashtoon... its a far cry!!

I had lamb chops that were decent and had some interesting flavors. For $22.95 to only get 4 chops I felt a little disgruntled.



You have a choice of sides that are paired with the entrees, eggplant, lentils, or sauteed spinach. The lentils and sauteed spinach was a little too bland for my taste and I was annoyed by the fact that it was on a bed of lettuce (everytime I went into the food I would get a piece of lettuce)



What saved the night was the Rice Pudding (sorry cant remember the afghani name).... similiar to Indian/pakistani Kheer but even thicker. It was quite divine I might say. The turkish coffee was very good as well... they made it tableside.

Overall its a good experience to try and enjoy... you just need to bring some money!

Dinner for 2 with dessert and cofee was $58.21

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

57@@57While I agree that it is pricey, it is not the first afghani restaurant in the valley. unfortunately it is decidedly not an acceptable replacement for the fabulous Chopandaz. The food can best be described as adequate but uninspired. Our dinner for two with apetizer and wine (no dessert or coffee) was $90. This included poor service, we were stuck in the corner and forgotten. I discoverd that every other table in the restaurant was getting bread and sauces but not ours. I asked as we paid where the bread was on the menu as we noticed they had it but I did not see it. I was told it came with every meal, and then the waiter said "Oh, didn't you get any? Would you like it to go." ot waht I consider a acceptable solution, there was not even an apology. So, take money, expect adequate but uninspired food, and poor service.

CrediblyEdible said...

Thank you for your comment. This was a generally negative review. I thought it was pricey.

My service was far better than that you listed. Thank you for your honest feedback.

--Credibly Edible
The Self Proclaimed Restaurant Critic